Sunday, June 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Big Girl!

I am so thankful for the week of time I have had to come home before leaving for Afghanistan next week.   One of the highlights of being home was to be here for a belated 5th birthday party for Delaney.   Her Grammy was kind enough to do some preparation for us before I came home and so I only had to bake her cake and pick up a few last minute things before her friends arrived for her party.
While I feel a like a substandard parent for 'fessing up on this, this was D's first real birthday party.  This was the first year she really had much understanding about her special day and the first time she requested a birthday party.   Before that I guess we figured a party would be more for our benefit than hers.  In any case- she gave the guest list consisting (luckily for  us) of 3 little girls from her Preschool class, not too daunting.  
I got home and immediately set to work decorating and baking a cake fit for a Princess (or a Fairy, the decorations she picked were half and half).  The girls played out in the backyard on the tire swing, took turns smacking the pinata and ate cake and ice cream of course.  Delaney had a great time and has already begun planning for next year's party.

early stages of the decorations

the spread






Its so hard to believe how fast our baby girl is growing up.   It seems like yesterday that we took that tiny baby home in Seattle.  Her presence in our lives has taught us so much and filled our home with so much love and laughter (and PINK).   I know she can't wait for next year's birthday party but we hope she takes her time growing up.

we love you Delaney Ireland.

No comments: